Sunday, December 2, 2007

Resignation Letter

Below is a copy of the resignation letter that I shared with the PFWC family today. The entire message will be available this week through our podcast or our website. This has been the most difficult day we've ever had in ministry. Thanks again for all of your prayers during this time.

Dear PFWC Family,

“The steps of a righteous man are ordered of the Lord.” Every time I read this passage from Psalm 37:23 I’m reminded that my life is not my own. I belong to God. Vanessa belongs to God. We’ve committed both our individual lives and our marriage to His calling and purpose. We’ve resolved to travel together down the path that He has set before us. We’ve entrusted our steps to Him.

It was God’s leading that brought us to Pontiac in May of 2003. It was His plan for us to start Pontiac Family Worship Center. He gave us a passion for this city and over the last few years we’ve developed a love for each and every one of you. The blessings of God have been abundant and you have made this journey so wonderful. I’m convinced that our days here have been ordained by the Lord.

That’s why today is so difficult. Through many months of prayer and Godly counsel we are convinced that God is asking us to travel down a new path, a path that will lead us away from Pontiac and away from the PFWC family. This decision is the most difficult one we’ve had to make up to this point in our ministry. The difficulty comes not in saying yes to the Lord, but in saying goodbye to all of you.

In our hearts we never thought this day would come. I guess that’s why God has reminded us lately of Proverbs 16:9. “In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.” We’ve served here with the mindset that we would never leave. However, the Lord has been stirring our hearts and we can say with full certainty that our time here is coming to an end.

Today, December 2, 2007, we are officially resigning as your pastors with the full intent to provide transitional leadership for the next 90 days. Our last Sunday will be February 24, 2008. During this transitional time we will be working with Steve Bradshaw and the leadership of the Michigan District of the Assemblies of God since our church comes under the umbrella of the Assemblies of God fellowship.

After this time of transition Vanessa and I will be moving to Kansas City, Missouri to start a new church in my hometown. We are stepping out in faith believing God to do a similar work like He’s done here in Pontiac. It’s our desire to continue to see souls come to Christ and church planting is the best way to see that mission accomplished. God has asked us to pioneer another church and we’ve said yes to His call.

Please hear these words from the bottom of our hearts. Though our relationship as your pastors will change, our love for all of you will not. That’s why this is so difficult. We’ve become family over the past few years and now we’re moving away. As hard as it is to say goodbye the fact is we’re still family. As a matter of fact, maybe goodbye is the wrong word. The phrase “see you later” seems more appropriate.

One day we’ll all be together again, but this time it will be forever. We’ll spend eternity together in the presence of the Lord. What a glorious day that will be. In the meantime, let me share verse 25 of the Psalm that I opened with: “I was young and now I’m old, but I’ve never seen the righteous forsaken or the children begging for bread.” That’s a promise that we can all hang on to during this time.

God directs our steps and promises not to leave us nor forsake us. I’m confident that if God is leading us on to something new and wonderful then the same is true for all of you. God will not take from one at the expense of another. If God is preparing to bless Vanessa and I with a new work then He’s preparing to bless all of you with a new pastor. We really believe that your best days are yet ahead, and though we will not always be your pastors we will always be family.

Respectfully submitted with love for all you,

Bobby and Vanessa Hawk

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am currently going through a similar transition of ministry- thank-you for the example of leaving graciously and with professionalism.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much my husband and I are going through the same experience.Had been searching for a way to out it all together.

Anonymous said...

So grateful for this. Like the other 2 commenters, my wife and I are going through a season of transition, and this letter really gives an awesome example of what to say.

Anonymous said...

I feel that I am just repeating what was written above but am truly thankful to have found your letter. I am currently going through the same experience in my position as youth pastor. Your letter displays a true heart of grace, love and compassion for the congregation you served. It is also an excellent example of your steadfast desire to follow God's lead.

Thank you again.

Anonymous said...

So grateful for this letter and Godly example.